Frog Song has progressed well this week, my time away was obviously very good for me.
After finishing The Creeper I went back to Bumblebee as had not been happy with how it looked,
I used the wrong shade of thread (too light) when I was edge stitching and the feet especially stand out far more than I lwanted. Considered unpicking but the risk of damaging the background fabric stopped me from doing this. Decided to try colouring the thread and see if that would help.
It did and I am much happier so back to my frogs for the outer corners.
Top finished it's time to quilt it. Decided to use cotton batting and found a lovely blotchy soft yellow for the backing fabric. Measuring up I discovered that adding the extra half inch onto all my blocks from my scale drawing had made my top quite a bit larger than I had planned, forgot to do the maths!!
Had allowed for a wide outer border so trimmed this down to get a better size for a throw rug, it is now 73" by 51" a couple inches longer than my friend had wanted and bang on for the width.
Now have all the ditch stitching done and have stitched around all the frogs. Am not good at free motion stitching so have gone with straight lines 1/2 inch apart on th borders overlapping to cross hatch in the corners and have followed my 60 degree angles for diagonal lines 2" apart acoss the outer background.
I think if this is going to be used as a throw this will keep it lovely and soft.
Only these bottom corners stitched so far and I am very happy with how Swampy and Stretch are just showing against the leaves.My plan is to continue the straight lines through the center panel but to stitch in both directions so I get a cross hatch in that area. The block backgrounds I will do free motion with the only design I am comfortable with, stippling, My friend has gone to Vietnam on holiday for 3 weeks so my plan is to have this finished and sent off for her to arrive home too.
Linking now to Esther's WOW and then straight back to my sewing room.
Enjoy your Wednesday everyone