Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Work on Wed 7th August

Hi Everyone,

Well my LE is at the stage where I have to wait for the 15th and Part 3
I know most of you have seen it in my album but here it is again.

I am adding my tips for how I machine stitched my border for those that may want to try this method.
I have trouble handstitching so did not baste  my guide lines but instead drew a line around my background fabric that was 34 inches square with the compass perfectly centered. I had cut my background to 35 inches square.
After carefully measuring against Esther's pattern I drew another pencil line 2 inches inside my first.
This line is my straight center line for placing and fusing  my diamonds individually.

I didn't take photo's at the time so have recreated this on a scrap, think you will get the idea.
I traced Esther's page on to steam a seam and fused  a page to each of my light and dark fabrics. When cutting my diamonds up I realised half of each page was reversed. Lol
However, this meant I ended up with 2 light and 2 dark corner units,  you can see this in the first photo, I like the effect it has given.

I cut this portion from Esther's pattern to use as a template for my corners, have drawn on my center line so you can see how it works for placement. This meant I was  keeping the corner diamonds perfect, but then I could make tiny adjustments as I fitted the others before fusing them to my background fabric. This was the most time consuming part of the border as I did not want a major gap or overlap anywhere.

My corner center unit I cut as one piece. I just taped the two patterns together and added an under lap on the triangle edges, plus an extra quarter inch in length, just in case !!! If it disappears under the next border I won't mind but would hate it to not fit properly.
Stitching was straight forward. I blanket stitched the inner edge first. Blanket stitch again along the outer edge but at each join I straight stitched in along the join and then zigzag stitched out to catch both fabrics.
You could blanket stitch both edges, in and out, but I wanted a lighter look at the join than that would have given.

For my outer flowers I first thought now for pinks, but then I cut a template of a petal and looked at my inspiration fabric., Which thanks to Wendy I now know is called Arabian Nights.

The darker colors I really liked, but looking at this photo I can see a lighter option I could have used as well.
Fusing to the back meant a few petals were slight off perfect but I love the finished flower.

I reduced my satin stitch width by 1 and increased my length by 1 as working with metallic thread it is so easy for it all to turn to custard and  I do not want to be unpicking it. Lol.
Am thinking I will add a cluster of tiny iridescent beads to the very center at a later stage.

My pinks for the next stage have been a problem. I went shopping a few days ago and came home with of all things Shot Taffeta. Quilting  purists will be cringing but I use whatever gives me the look I want - if it works - I don't know that yet,  I have used it in other projects and it is the gold in my compass, but I have not appliqued using it.

The fabric on the  left is a very special gift that arrived a couple of days after I purchased these pinks and mauve's. Thank you so much Glenda, I know I am the right track with my color choices even if I change fabrics.
I seem to be thinking LE all the time now and a few days ago searched the house for a roll of Kimono fabric I have had for several years, found it well packed away at the back of a wardrobe as I have never known what to do with it.
Was given to me by a girlfriends mother, who also had it for years and  didn't know what to do with it either.

I always thought it seemed synthetic but contacted Glenda who told me how to test it, and it is Silk, a burnt scrap turned to dust not a little hard ball, and even more that it has been hand embroidered / woven at the time the fabric was made.
WOW I am so thrilled and hope that I can use some of these flowers in my LE bouquets as the colors are perfect for my soft shades. Fraying will be the major issue  but I have time to experiment.

Back to work tomorrow for the rest of the week, then next week my quilt groups exhibition.
I only have one edge of a hanging sleeve to finish stitching in place so that is my priority for today, plus making labels for both my FMN's
Will take my camera so can show you all some photo's next week.

Cheer's Jenny


  1. Love your center and so nice of you to take the time to explain how you did your flowers and borders. Yes I cringed when I see that beautiful fabric in your quilt. I am sure it will be spectacular. I marvel at how Glenda works with her silks. Fantastic work as always Jenny.
    Hugs Bunny

  2. beautiful work! love how you show it.

  3. You are just amazing. It is so lovely to see your beautiful work close up. I can't wait to see what you do in the next part with those beautiful fabrics!! Well, I know it will be spectacular whatever you do!

  4. What an informative post, Jenny - thanks so much for sharing the process. I am way behind, but life has been getting in the way and I only have so much time to devote to quilting. So I'll just take it one step at a time. I love your center!