Thinking if I am quick I can link my blog to Esther's WOW this week.
Have found my next quilting project, another wall hanging for our renovated house.
Well, hopefully will be renovated house. My DH has promised me he is taking January off and concentrating on finishing our many started but not completed projects - yes, he is a builder which explains everything, Lol.
But, I think it may take longer than 4 weeks so my fingers are crossed, especially as we got an email last night to say our new doubleglazed windows are ready for delivery - and we are no way ready for them!!!
Anyway, with my Faberge hanging for one wall finished I started thinking about another lounge wall.
I had made an inpulse purchase at The Warehouse of this lovely decor arrangement which fitted vases given to us as a wedding present 14 years ago perfectly.
The colours worked so well with the new wall hanging that I realised deep reds would be the perfect foil on another wall and the only wall hanging I have ever sold came to mind.
Adrienne Walker's Papaver Pizzazz. or "Poppies"
I first made this wall hanging about 5 years ago and it is the only one I have ever sold as my neighbour fell in love with it and wouldn't let me just give it to her as I wanted to.
The only photo I have of it. I was in a very metallic stage then and all my backgrounds had to shimmer and shine. It is still the header on my blog although half the header has disappeared and I don't know how to get it back!!!
Thinking of the colours of our new lounge walls this is my background for my new wallhanging.
A deep black/blue that links to my faberge wallhanging. Fairy frost cream that gives me a wonderful shimmer and dark mottled red/black for the contrast
This wallhanging will go behind a 3 seater couch so I have added an extra panel at the left end and shrunk the depth, more Poppie's will be needed but I can mirror image or I am thinking of including some from Esther Aliu's Poppie's from her "Forget Me Not" BOM I have already enlarged her pattern as I think they will work very well.
Today I went and bought my 5 shades of red for the poppies.
They haven't photographed true as the dark areas are really wine reds not just dark as they show here.
The fabric on the right will be the predominate colour.
Adrienne Walker designs are interesting, before I add my applique I have to bat, back and quilt my background fabric, in this case just simple diagonal lines stitched across the background fabric which gives a wonderful result. Being a wall hanging I have used Vliesline H640 iron on as my batting.
I used the deep red diagonal as my width so not to have a quilting line on it, but have had to adjust my widths to keep the matching diagonals also free of stitching.
Half stitched and ran out of thread. A couple of days worrying can I still buy it as it is a gold/silver/bronze mettalic that I bought several years ago. Yay, Mettler still make it and my local shop had it in stock.
In the mean time I started on my first Poppy.
It's a while since I used this technique which I learnt at a Mary Transom course.
I felt like a beginner again but after reaching this point it all came back.
I traced my pattern onto fusible web, cut out and put my poppy together on baking paper.
I fused it to a lightweight vilene so that I could machine embroider my vein lines and stitch any edges I want to keep raised once stitched to my background. I had to unpick all the veins on my light petal and restitch them as the thread I used on the deeper petals was just to dark for the bright petal.
The next stage was to trim and then pad my flower.
My first poppy is now ready to be appliqued to my background.
Linking now to Esther's WOW.
Enjoy your quilting or your Wednesday, whatever you are doing,