Wednesday 3 May 2017

Luv Shack and Secret Garden.

Hi everyone,

On a roll at the moment, block four of Diamond Hill complete and have been adding hearts and more hearts to Luv Shack. Having no set idea what to put where so decided to start filling in from the bottom and see what happened.


 Lower Quarter

Used my camera at this stage with small hearts only fused in place, happy with how it is coming together apart from the bottom center heart which is too light and the orange one just above it, Changed these, stitched them down and carried on filling and stitching.


All stitched.

Pretty much what I had been hoping it would look like though not quite as random looking as I wanted I am a organised person which is probably why couldn't get out of my comfort zone. It is a throw not a wall hanging and my friend doesn't know they were meant to be random.
Next was the border, had a real problem finding something to go with it but had been thinking in the wrong direction. The sit and sew group made some suggestions last week and they seem to work.
First was to add a red peeper strip around the quilt. 


Didn't want to cut to size yet so marked my cutting line and cut quarter inch wide webbing and fused to the inside of the line.


Pressed my folded peeper strip into place and stitched right on the raw edge to stop any movement 
then stitched on my border.


Went bold with the border but it seems to work especially with the red peeper strip.
Am wondering whether it needs something on the border but not hearts as think that would be too much so am thinking butterflies.


YES or NO

Luckily I don't have to make a decision yet as the 1st of the month arrived on Monday and Block 4 of Secret Garden was released. Am falling more and more in love with Esther's beautiful pattern as each block is released. Each block is becoming more detailed and having reduced the pattern to 75% am finding more and more challenges in making them, with block four it is the stems, they are so narrow think I may have to machine stitch them all. While I am deciding about this - and the butterflies - have made a start on the padlock and flower.


As I said lots of detail and I don't hand stitch!! Drew the pattern onto my fabric and stitched it out with triple stitch using the zig zag eyelet stitch for the tiny circles and an embroider stitch for the arrowhead. Pencil to colour the inside of the larger circles and reverse applique for the keyhole center.


Couple of attempts for the flower, on the left is my first and I do like it but it is too dark against the other blocks so have gone with the one on the right.


Internal stitching done over stabiliser with variegated thread and soft metallic gold in the center. 
Again reverse applique for central circle.


In position with my vase.

Starting on my leaves now and have to make up my mind about the stems so that I can start stitching.

Have been searching for butterfly fabric the last couple of weeks as wanting to add some to my Secret Garden blocks, 

A friend gave me this one, they are the ones on Luv Shack but also used one for block two instead of the rock in the pattern.


Always knew it needed something in that area but the rock in the pattern just didn't work for me.
Thanks Ellie for the butterfly idea.

The other butterfly comes from a fabric I bought off Trade me and this fabric will give me my butterflies for the rest of my blocks.


Lovely fabric with a wonderful shimmer.


One added so far, wondering about another couple.

Heading back to sewing room now so have a great week every one,

Cheers, Jenny

5 comments:

  1. So nice work! It will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful beautiful appliqué work Jenny you sure know how to make your sewing machine sing. Love the heart quilt it has been so interesting watching it grow, I especially like the hearts in side the hearts look and the final special touch that makes it magical is the tiny blue flowers so sweet. Your SG blocks are out standing, and WOW to that padlock that is amazing it looks like a drawing Jenny so perfect. thanks for the tutorial on the way you built it I can see quiet plainly now how you did it. If you had the time you would be a great teacher. Love love the vase. Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching for butterfly fabric, bought the one with the bright butterflies on. Love that you are using butterflies which you are fussy cutting. Your Secret Garden is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jenny this is really exciting! Your lock is phenomenal. Such perfect details. whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete